Sunday 7 August 2011

Portfolio

I haven't yet announced on this blog (I also have a work one) that I recently applied for, and was given a place on, the HNC Millinery course at Leeds College of Art.  (Yay!)

I thought I'd share the portfolio I took to the interview, so I've taken some pictures of it.

I should preface by saying that I was probably pushing the limits in terms of number of things to include, but when you've made as much as I have, it's extraordinarily hard to break that down into a small selection of your best stuff, while still making it a representative sample!

Obviously, the material is copyright, and design right, me, 2011, (or the year in the image!)


I presented the whole lot in an A3 sized display book, of the kind you get at stationery shops.  That was mainly because I already had it on the shelf, and I don't have a 'proper' portfolio at the moment.
The ribbon is added partly for looks, and partly practicality - it would be so completely like me to have picked up the folder upside down, and to have spilled all the work out all over the floor...  Probably on the train...  Or in the middle of the road when walking to the college...  (Not that I'm a clutz or anything.)


The front page is done with a sheet of tracing paper, textured with pastels on the back, and with the sketch and names done using a dip ink pen, then mounted onto card.

Then onto the actual work!  (Prepare for lots and lots of pictures.)













Made for Select Society, and the pictures of the outfit in use are copyright Select Society http://www.selectsociety.co.uk/








Ignore that they're awful pictures of me, since I'm possibly the least photogenic person on the planet!!







The two above hats originally designed on the back of an envelope.




A last minute design, because I had a page to fill.  Pastels on textured paper.




 

Anyway, starting in September, two years of hat making here I come (one day a week at least)!

No comments:

Post a Comment